Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tips- Sponging a masked area

This tip/technique goes quite nicely with the CAS style. Basically, start out with a neutral card base, then get a piece of scrap paper that is the same size as your card front. Cut or tear a shape out of your scrap paper. Using temporary adhesive, attach the reverse mask to your card front. Decide on a colour palette and start sponging colours into your shape. Next, add in some images and a sentiment. Remove the mask, finish off with ribbon if you like. The effect makes quite the impact. This has been a favorite technique of mine for some time now, so I thought I'd show you a few items I've made over the years.

This first one is really not much of a CAS style, but I wanted to show you that you don't have to make your reverse mask be card front size. Also, this shows how a torn shape can make a very effective look.

This next one is card I made for last year's Dare to Get Dirty celebration at SCS. For this one, I cut out the rectangle free hand, sponged a few greens, and stamped over with leaves and definitions. I went with a rectangle on this one as well. I kept with browns and nature themed images again. So even though each of these card has a more elaborate collaged type look, they come together quite quickly and look really impressive. If you need a gift set for someone, I highly recommend doing something along the lines of the bottom two.

3 comments:

Harriet Skelly (SCS hskelly) said...

Your cards are all beautiful - can't wait to try this technique - I have never done this before!!

LeAnne said...

Very nicely done, this is an easy technique and one I haven't done in a while!
LeAnne

Joan B said...

Gorgeous effects! Thanks so much for all your ideas!