Friday, April 10, 2009

Sketch Day

I know I usually wait until Saturday to post, but I'm off anyway, so I figured I'd post the sketch early.
So first, here's the sketch. As always, feel free to use it as a starting point. You can change things to suit your design. I based this sketch off of a card I made earlier this week. However, I enjoyed it so much that I made a second design. A few dimensions for you, the background panel is about 3.5x4. The "flower" is about 2 inches in diameter.

As you can see I pretty much copied my card design to make the sketch. I had a flower, leaves, and a button on the original card. I also had the sentiment tag placed just so. You'll see in my second card what I mean when I say to change things so they fit your design.

Here's the original card. It was posted on my personal blog earlier this week. I had a lot of fun piecing together my own flower with die-cuts, instead of stamping and cutting out a floral image.

For the second card I did something that I've been wanting to do forever, but for some reason the execution of it just never occurred to me. I love polka dot backgrounds, but I've been wanting multi-coloured dot backgrounds. I was checking out some new-to-me blogs, and came across Laura's, this post in particular, was kind of an "oh yeah" moment. Use the outline polka dot backgrounds and just stamp in your own colour. I suppose if you really didn't want the colour to show you could stamp in versamark and just use it as a guide. I was okay with the outline showing here. With all the fun spring stuff around (and we're finally getting weather forecasts into the double digits!), I decided to pair the dotty background with a few garden boots. I really love these boots. I modified the sketch ever so slightly. Instead of a flower and leaves, I used a scalloped circle. And because my sentiment was too long, I had it flow over the edge of the background piece, since it wouldn't look right hugged up to the edge of the mat.

Card One Supplies: Stamps: Birthday Basics, Polka Dot Basics Paper: Pumpkin Pie, Summer Sunrise, New Leaf, Craft, Vintage Cream Ink: Pumpkin Pie, New Leaf Accessories, etc.: Blossoms, Scalloped Rectangles nestabilities, vintage button, thread, Swiss Dot folder

Card Two Supplies: Stamps: Women of Life, Polka Dot Basics, Green Thumb Paper: White, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie, Taken with Teal, Chocolate Ink: Orangerie, Cote d'Azure, Landscape, Dark Chocolate, Fresh Snow Accessories, etc.: Circle and Rectangle Nestabilities

12 comments:

Ann said...

Great sketch, and I'm diggin' the polka dotted goodness!

Claudia's Irish Eyes said...

How darling! I love that flower. Great work.
Claudia
www.claudiafranson.blogspot.com

newenglandstamper said...

Another fabulous sketch - I can't wait to try it. And super sample cards - so fresh and springlike! TFS!

Joann said...

Just love your work. I just found your blog and I'm looking forward to see more of your stuff!

Jen Sannes said...

I absolutely love those boots - super cute! I'm looking forward to trying this sketch as well...

Giovana said...

Awesome sketch!!
Here is my card: http://giovana-believe.blogspot.com/2009/04/thank-you.html

I hope you like it.
God bless
Giovana

Nancy Sanders said...

Love the challenge and the inspired cards this week. Thanks for your challenge and for taking a look at my creation!

Here's my card!

Heather P. said...

Yet another awesome sketch! :)

Loooove your samples! Here's what I came up with:

http://heatherpulvirenti.blogspot.com/2009/04/ftl37-tlc216-hi.html

Chrissy said...

Love this sketch! Here's my card ... http://cmhdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/04/recycled-paper.html

Lynette Neus said...

Another great sketch! Here is my card: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1313343?cat=500&ppuser=80719

Becky Stewart said...

great sketch - i made a couple of cards based on it, which you can see here: http://princess-creations.blogspot.com/ thanks for the inspiration

Elizabeth said...

Really great sketch! This is my first time playing and here is my card: http://stampinelizabeth.blogspot.com/2009/04/clean-and-simple-thank-you.html