Monday, May 26, 2008

Fall-to Layout 1

Okay, so here goes for one of my soon to be regular features. This is one of my favorite clean and simple fall-to layouts. It works for virtually any small type image. I've used this layout for Christmas cards, featuring snowflakes where the squares are. I've also done dry embossing in place of the cut out squares, then popped up the smaller image on the raised square. That can make quite an impact! I did the sketch only one way, but of course, it can be used in any of the 4 directions. Another thing, the circle on the sketch represents a knot in your ribbon. That does not have to go on the left side. The key feature here is that the knot off sets the sentiment along the bottom. So whichever side the knot is on, I find that the sentiment should be either central or opposite-sided.

Here's one of many cards featuring this layout. Feel free to play along, file the sketch away in your file or book of sketches! This card was inspired by the ribbon I wanted to use. Next up came the selection of kraft cardstock. Finally, I bought these stars by Verve Visual recently, and hadn't even used them yet (gasp!). Each square is 1-1/4 of white, with a 1-3/8 chocolate mat.

19 comments:

Donelda said...

I love this layout Natasha. I am going to go make a card using it!! I am also so excited about your clean and simple blog! I am loving the CAS style these days (it seems most of my cards are CAS these days). I look forward to all your clean and simple creations and inspiration!!

Shannan Teubner said...

Totally fabulous! Thanks for taking the time to share this sketch & card with us!

Marie said...

I love this layout as well. I think I'll have to use it tomorrow!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Joan B said...

thanks for this layout. I'm always skeptical of layouts as I'm not sure that they are good ones, but I trust you. I know just the set to try this layout with! this is a great blog already.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Gorgeous, Natasha! So clean and perfect!

Cathy I. said...

Great sketch! The colors are so simple but so awesome!!!

Harriet Skelly (SCS hskelly) said...

I love this layout! I also love the ideas you have for this blog. Thanks for offering this!

broni (waterchild12) said...

I love your idea of a *clean and simple* idea blog!!! This is a great layout too! I'm going to take your suggestion and add it to my idea book of sketches. With less time these days, I certainly can appreciate the CAS style. I totally agree on the proportions being critical and also believe in limiting the number of colors.
Thanks for starting this blog, Natasha! I'm definitely bookmarking it to follow along!

Harriet Skelly (SCS hskelly) said...

I tried out your sketch:
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/928093?cat=500&ppuser=18530

Becky Carafa said...

I'm ALWAYS looking for sketches and filing them away, thanks for a great one! Great sample too.

Kim said...

Love the whole concept of this site, Natasha. I'll be a regular!

Anonymous said...

Great to find a blog like this! I will definitely be back!

Krista

Heather McNally said...

I love this! I love your "regular" blog - and will now be checking in on BOTH! I love your style - and this concept of the CAS blog - FANTASTIC!!

Lynette said...

Clean and Simple is my favorite! Thanks for your blog. I made a card with your sketch, and uploaded it here: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/928644?cat=500&ppuser=80719

MiLaWi said...

Hello Natasha

Thanx for starting this blog! I am a clean and simple cardmaker (I think) and I really like it already over here. Thanks for sharing this nice layout! Today I made two cards with it in 2 different color combinations. You can see them here.

Greetings,
Milawi

Bee said...

I love that layout. It really is a classic that lends itself to so many variations... :-)

Billie said...

Hi,
Love this layout! so sharp looking and very flexible!!!
any tips on getting the squares lined up correctly?? Help!!!!
Thanks,
Billie

Amber (bambi64) said...

Just found your blog today via a card on SCS. I love clean and simple cards. Some of my favorites is just an image in the middle of the cardstock with no layers or ribbon. Just did set like that this past week.

Love your sketch. Off to look at the rest of your blog.

Amber aka bambi64

Angela said...

I used this layout on a card this weekend and love how it turned out. you can see it here if you are interested http://aninkandasmile.blogspot.com/2008/06/you-are-appreciated.html

Love your blog! Thanks for the ideas :)

Angela